Following my previous post, I tried to play with Polymer on my spare time. In my mind, Web components could be an important point for the architecture of the Web. On one side the Web would be easier to handle for automated systems because of the separation of information and presentation. On the other side Web applications would become easier to design for the same reason.
Software modeling is interesting because it provides a graphical representation of software. As a consequence, UML is an expressive representation for design and documentation. The Eclipse UML2 project relies on an XML file which tends to become a standard form for the persistence of UML models. In that XML file all the informations relative to an UML model are available.
In the discovery of the Polymer platform came the idea of Polymeria: bridging the gap between the XML representation of an UML model and its graphical representation. The principle sounds simple: writing a Web component for each UML element. This is an echo to the idea exposed by E. Bidelman that every framework is compatible with DOM (further information is available in my previous post).
First constraint: Web component names must contain a dash in order to avoid overriding standard HTML element names. The problem is that Eclipse UML2 XML element names do not necessarily contain a dash. In other words, the XML file needs a transformation.
The main issue comes with the Web component for an UML attribute: the XML tag generated by most UML2 tools is self-closing. The behavior is quite surprising in some cases, some side-effects are completely unexpected. For example, some classes appear in a wrong package. I open an issue in the Polymer project because the self-closing tag renders in a surprising way. And it appears one and two others had been submitted before. Self-closing tags are not allowed in Web components.
Every framework is compatible with DOM. But DOM is not necessarily compatible with Web components. After these two limitations, it seems Web components are perhaps XML compliant. However an XML model is tricky to adapt as a Web components document. The random support of self-closing tags can be rather disappointing for a first contact with Web components...
Here is an HTML sample of Polymeria showing the transformations needed and the Web components obtained (a proper rendering has been tested with Chrome and Firefox).